3D Modeling/ Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling

4/11/2024 - 20/11/2024 / Week 7 - Week 9

Lim En Yu / 0354452

3D Modeling / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor’s University 

Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling




TABLE OF CONTENTS







Instructions

 Fig 1.1 Module Information



Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling


Instructions
1. Choose hard surface object in any of these categories:
- Vehicle
- Weapon
- Robot
- Machine

2. Search reference images or blueprints. 

3. Model the selected object using polygon tools and techniques based on what you have learnt.

4. Apply the right material and texture to give its appearance.

5. Set lighting and rendering using ‘Eevee’ / ‘Cycle’ as the rendering engine.



Firstly, I have looked for a gun blueprint image and imported it to blender. I have chosen a long gun which is rifle that ;looked slightly complicated than hand gun like pistol because I think long gun looked cooler..
 Fig 2.1 Import the blueprint, Week 7 (7/11/25)

I started by constructing the main body of the gun which is the rectangle part at the middle. I only modeled out the rough shape but not focusing on the details yet.
 Fig 2.2 Constructing the base of the gun, Week 7 (7/11/25)

After that, I have elaborate other parts from the main body of the gun and it's still the same, I have made it according to the blueprint. I have applied boolean tool for the hole at the back part of the gun. While modeling other parts, I have also focused on some minor details.
 Fig 2.3 Completing different parts of the gun, Week 7 (8/11/25)

Next, it comes to a more complicated part which is the front part of the rifle, I have separated outside and inside, I applied the same boolean tool for the hole. 
 Fig 2.4 The front part of the gun, Week 7 (9/11/25)

Furthermore, after completing the whole body of the gun, I focused on dealing with the fdetails so that the gun looked more realistic and delicate. For the words on the gun, I have solidified the words so it looked engraved.
 Fig 2.5 Focusing on the details, Week 7 (9/11/25)

Last but not least, I have applied the material properties for different part of the gun. My gun will be in black and silver which is simple, I have tried blue colour but it looked not that cool when compared to black. Black colour really goes well with gun.
 Fig 2.6 Applying material properties, Week 7 (10/11/25)


Final Outcome of Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling
 Fig 2.7 Final Outcome of Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling, Week 7 (10/11/25)

 Fig 2.8 Final Outcome of Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling with background, Week 7 (10/11/25)

 Fig 2.9 Final Outcome of Project 1: Hard Surface Modeling wireframe, Week 7 (10/11/25)




Feedback

Week 9: Mr Kamal said it was good, yay! There are differences in the materials also.



Reflection

It will be the same as what I have said at last project, I really love and enjoy this module! I enjoyed it very very much and I am thankful for the assignment if not I won't really have motivation to complete it in short time and find where is my interest. 

I learnt more in this project as I can really try rendering it out which it can looked more realistic and not only viewport shading view. Also, I have explored different technique and functions in blender like the background and this is because I have looked through the internet for tutorials! May be I should try doing it without tutorial hahaha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography Task 1 / Exercises

Design Principles/ Task 2: Visual Analysis & Ideation

Design Principles/ Task 1: Exploration

Design Principles/ Task 3: Development & Design

Information Design: Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical

Interactive Design/ Lectures & Exercises

Video and Sound Production/ Project 2: Shooting Practise & Editing

Video and Sound Production/ Exercises

Design Principles/ Final Compilation

Information Design: Project 1 & 2